From the Mommy Archives

When my child was much younger, about the time they started preschool, I too embarked on a new quest. Working with a therapist, I discovered some angst that was manifesting itself in my physical body, stemming from a sense of disconnectedness. I had no roots here. I did not feel grounded. We had moved still further from my family and my hometown, and this new place had red clay and mud instead of what remembered from my childhood of green grass and fertile soil. And so began my gardening days. Since I had a toddler, and my sweet Mommy gave me a Mary Engelbreit Gardener's Journal, I began transforming both myself and our yard with ABCs. (Yes, this is a recurring theme). Here are just some of the many things we planted during those 13 or so years of gardening together:

Angel Trumpet

Butterfly Bush

Columbine, Cosmos, and Cleome
Daffodils and Dahlias
Echinacea

Foxglove and Formosa lily
Geranium and Gerber daisy
Hollyhocks, Hyacinths, and Hibiscus
Iris and Impatiens
Jack-be-little pumpkins and Johnny-Jump Ups
Kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate (discovered in a book called Ready Set Grow! by Suzanne Frutiq Bales )
Marigolds, Morning glories, and Moon flower
Nasturtium
Obedience plant
Pink poppies
and Passion flowers
Quince
Rose mallow
Sunflower
Tulips
Umbrella Magnolia
Verbena bonariensis
Wisteria
Yarrow
Zinnia

3 comments: