Priorities: Puddles and Presence

This morning, shortly after 7am - well, ok, 7:15, but it should have been 7, as is often the case, we were running a little late, so when my Mom called at 7:01 and we were still gathering everything to walk out the door, I couldn't pick up and decided I'd wait to call her back until after I'd dropped Elizabeth off at school. In reality, I was already not with her, because... on THIS morning, I forgot to go THROUGH the puddle, which I almost always do, because I know Elizabeth likes it when I do because less than a week ago she said "pretty" and I smiled and was happy I'd driven slightly to the right to purposefully drive THROUGH the puddle. You see, these things DO matter. They matter to us, and that's all that matter, but I forgot, so... I decided to remember to pull up this quote I used to have attached to my visor in my car. I "used to" because I used to have CD on one side, held in place by a carrier with elastic that went around the visor and there on the side the I saw when I put it down to block the sun was my reminder:

"If you do not give right attention to the one you love, it is a kind of killing.
When you are in the car together, if you are lost in your thoughts,
assuming you already know everything about her, she will slowly die."
Thich Nhat Hanh


No comments:

Post a Comment